Guess What

The Bird is the Word

Friday, December 5, 2008

Distractions

Distractions




So I was just reading James, I love James and I read it a lot, when I started to think about Staying focused, and the Power of words. Lately we’ve been going through the series at Capital, and the main thesis is to go out and “Do”… or as Judah would say, “Don’t just say you’re a Christian, live it.” Then I started thinking, what stops people from going out and putting some action behind there faith? What kind of attitude do we have? What is our demeanor? How do we talk? What do we actually say, act like, and do when we go out and put some action behind our faith?

When looking at my own life, I can look at specific times, where I’ve gotten distracted. I spent more time in the gym then I did at the church I was doing an internship for during my second year there… What Happened? I lost focus, I took my eye off of the prize, and got distracted.

One of the biggest problems we see today is people simply get sidetracked. They say, “I’ll go out, and do that as soon as I’m done with work…” They get home and realize they didn’t do it, then say, “I’ll do it tomorrow.” Tomorrow comes and they say, “I’ll do it sometime this week.” Saturday comes, and they say, “The Pastor was just talking to the general public, he wasn’t actually telling me to go out and do something…” We need to learn how to prioritize. Which is more important, your hour of Bible study, or Lost? Which is more important to you, the Gym, or ministry? Which is more important, doing what the Bible says, or fulfilling your own selfish desires?

Now I’m not saying that everything you do should be centered around Christ, although it should, I’m simply saying that if you don’t prioritize correctly, you will never fulfill the purpose God has intended for your life.

Another huge question is our demeanor, and what do we talk like when we go out and “Do”? If you read James 3, The entire chapter is about the power of the tongue, and how we need to watch what we say. If you are going out, with the attitude of, “well I have to do this, better get it out of the way…” and complain while looking angry, how does that show the love of Christ?

Are we distracted? Have we become so self centered, that everything we do needs to benefit us in some way? Are we Selfish?


Colossians 3 8-17 8 But now is the time to get rid of anger, rage, malicious behavior, slander, and dirty language. 9 Don’t lie to each other, for you have stripped off your old sinful nature and all its wicked deeds. 10 Put on your new nature, and be renewed as you learn to know your Creator and become like him. 11 In this new life, it doesn’t matter if you are a Jew or a Gentile,# circumcised or uncircumcised, barbaric, uncivilized,# slave, or free. Christ is all that matters, and he lives in all of us.
12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. 13 Make allowance for each other’s faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others. 14 Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony. 15 And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are called to live in peace. And always be thankful.
16 Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives. Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom he gives. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts. 17 And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father.#

Everything we do should represent Christ…

Well I’m challenged… God is Good!

Be Blessed

No comments: